Pancake Pittas or the cheats way to a gluten free pitta bread
- 200g self-raising flour Use a pre-mixed GLUTEN FREE self raising blend (Doves Farm is a good choice)
- 200ml SPARKLING water. (This is important. The extra fizz goes a long way)
- 1 egg, beaten
- Weigh out your flour into a bowl. You can sieve if you like, but if it does not look lumpy – no harm done.
- Break your egg into another bowl and whisk a little with a fork. Stir in your sparkling water to combine.
- Pour the liquid mix on top of the flour, and mix lightly by hand with a fork or hand whisk to keep as much of the air in as possible. Mix until combined.
- Place your non stick pan on the heat. If you need oil because of a less than impressive non-stick, that is OK – but you will end up with a slightly different finish.
- Making a pitta type shape spoon mix onto the pan.
- Keeping an eye on the pan, turn your pitta pancake over as soon as the first bubble breaks on the surface of the mix.
- Cook on the other side. Appx 2 minutes per side
- Remove from the pan. Slit the side and leave to cool.
- Fill, eat, enjoy.
- If you pop your filled pitta back on a pan or griddle you can crisp up the outside, but it is equally delicious without doing this.
- Salt, pepper, spices or herbs can be added in to your mix above, if you want to vary it up
Capital initiatives in this company are co-funded by the European Regional Development Fund and Enterprise Ireland under the Border, Midland and Western Regional Operational Programme 2014-2020. The aim of the initiative was to purchase assets to allow the company to increase productivity resulting in improved competitiveness.